Choose your language:

  • Secretary's Office: Mon - Fri 9:30 to 13:30

Application for and collection of the PhD Degree

Application for PhD Degree certificate

Once the thesis has been defended and approved, the PhD student may apply for the award of the university PhD degree at the International Doctorate School of the University of Seville (EIDUS), where they will be informed of the procedure. Once their academic records have been reviewed and the fulfilment of the necessary requirements for obtaining the degree have been verified, they will be given a receipt for the degree.

The procedure is as follows:

  1. Request the letter of payment of the EIDUS degree fees and pay the fees (it is important to note that the date of issue of the PhD degree will correspond to the date of payment of fees). Optionally, students who are members of the European Union (requirement to apply for DNI or NIE) may apply through the Electronic Office of the University of Seville.
  2. Hand in the following documentation at the University Registry (Registro General, Calle San Fernando, or, Registro auxiliar, Pabellón de Brasil):
    • Paid letter of payment.
    • T12 - Annex 12: Application for official PhD Degree certificate
    • For Spanish PhD students: certified photocopy of the DNI (front and back).
    • For PhD students from other countries: certified photocopy of the valid passport (front and back).
    • Certified photocopy of the official degree with which you entered the PhD programme:
    • Countries belonging to the European Higher Education Area: duly certified photocopy of the qualifications for access to PhD studies (front and back of Bachelor’s, Architect’s, Engineer’s Degree, University Master’s degree, etc.).
    • Countries not belonging to the European Higher Education Area: certified photocopy of the qualifications for access to PhD studies (front and back), duly legalised.
      • Official documents issued abroad shall comply with the following requirements:
        • They must be official and issued by the relevant authorities, in accordance with the legal system of the country concerned.
        • They must be legalised through diplomatic channels or, where appropriate, by Apostille of the Hague Convention or other procedures such as those existing between the signatory countries of the Andrés Bello Convention. This requirement shall not apply to documents issued by the authorities of Member States of the European Union or signatories to the Agreement on the European Economic Area. More information on Document Legalisation
        • All documents must be accompanied by the corresponding translation into Spanish, in all cases by an official translator.
        • In the event of doubt as to the authenticity, validity or content of the documents provided, the necessary steps will be taken to verify them, and the competent authority issuing said documents may be contacted to validate any doubtful cases.
  3. Within approximately 10 days of submitting the documentation to the Registry, the receipt for collection at the EIDUS will be available.
  4.  Once the PhD degree certificate has been issued, the interested party will be notified in writing and may collect it from the EIDUS.
  5. If you need an official certificate of your qualifications and details of the defence of the PhD thesis, this can be requested from the PhD Service, at any time, subject to payment of the corresponding fees.
  6. The interested party may obtain, upon request at the Degrees Unit of the Pabellón de Brasil, a supplementary certification of the PhD degree
  7. It is important that PhD students enter the details of their PhD thesis in the institutional repository Teseo of the Ministry of Education:

Collection of the PhD Degree certificate

It must be collected in person by the interested party, who must provide the receipt received when applying for the certificate, the order of payment of the issuing fees and DNI or passport.

If you are unable to collect it in person, you can:

  • Authorise another person by means of a Power of Attorney issued by a Spanish notary public
  • Ask for it to be sent to the Government Sub-delegation of your choice (if you live outside the province of Seville).
  • Ask for the document to be sent to the Spanish embassy/consulate closest to your place of residence (if you live outside Spain).